Friday, November 5, 2010

Holiday Bark

My mother makes a holiday bark that I'm fairly certain had something to do with why Dan married me. It has all the best things: salt, chocolate, sugar, butter, carbs.

I don't love all bark. I don't love white chocolate bark, and I don't appreciate peppermint bark like most people do (unless it has a dark chocolate base). But I love this bark.

I had a staff celebration coming up and a great deal of leftover Halloween candy. I combined my mother's basic bark with the idea of topping it all with a variety of delicious candy leftovers.

About half way through execution I started to think that perhaps I had overdone the candy. If you run into this problem, plow through. It will all work out in the end. Feel free to substitute your favorite candies for anything else here. You may not use all the candy bits... the best thing to do in that case is to put them over ice cream. You wouldn't want them to go to waste.

One batch makes one cookie sheet... I made two to share with 30-40 people, but should have made more. If it were a Get Fat night, I'm sure 5 of us girls could have done justice to one batch.

I'm sorry there is no picture... I was so excited to eat and share this that I completely forgot to take one.

You will need:

1 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar (packed)
about 25 Saltine crackers (1 sleeve should do the trick)
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 full-sized Butterfinger bar (or a bunch of small ones), chopped into chunks
2-3 Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, chopped into chunks
1/2 cup(ish) candy corn
1/2 cup(ish) M&Ms
1/4 cup roasted (unsalted) peanuts


Preheat oven to 350.
Line a jelly roll sheet (cookie sheet with sides) with aluminum foil & spray with nonstick spray.

Cover the bottom of the cookie sheet with Saltine crackers so that there is no space between them.
Melt 1 stick of butter and 1 cup of brown sugar together, and bring to a boil.
Pour boiling sugar over crackers.
Bake in oven for 5 minutes - toffee will spread in the oven, so don't worry if the sugar isn't covering the crackers.
Let rest for 1 minute outside of oven.

Spread the chocolate chips over toffee. When they get good and melty, spread them with a spatula or knife.

While the chocolate is still gooey, top with the candy. You may need to gently press some of the candy corn down.


Refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until the chocolate has set.

Break into small, uneven pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment